Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Godfather

I did not like the movie, The Godfather.  I thought the movie was somewhat confusing to follow at times.  The movie itself did not really capture my attention.  I can't really pinpoint what I didn't like about the movie, I just over all was not interested.  I personally would not recommend the movie, even though the movie is supposed to be a classic.  I think the movie has a huge reputation and I was expecting a lot more.  I thought the acting in the movie was pretty good, but nothing about it was amazing.  Overall, I was pretty disappointed in The Godfather, however, looking back on the movie I don't think it was as bad as I thought it was while I was watching it.

Vito Corleone was not only the center of his family, but also of the movie.  Vito Corleone was the man that would make deals with others and everything needed his permission.  He also always was worried about protecting his family and close friends.  I think Vito Corleone's role in the family was to be the center, and he definitely was portrayed that was in the movie, but I don't think that he was a very intriguing character.  I did not like how Vito just collapsed and died in the garden with the tomato plants.  I thought it was so disappointing considering he had just survived multiple bullets and then died by just collapsing. I would have much rather seen him die in a dramatic encounter with the 5 families and had a huge shoot out where it was a big deal that he died, especially since we was the center of the film and family.  I think the world became a better place when the Godfather died because I don't think Michael would have survived much longer and I think their family would have almost vanished.  The family would definitely have faded out because the Godfather had all of these favors people owed him and all of these plans and I do not think his once so innocent son would have been able to handle it.

I think it is a very interesting perspective to have the movie be told from the inside, however, I do not think it was as genius and creative of a plan as everyone makes it seem.  It did, however, help me learn more about organized crime and how everything was handled, but that was only because I knew nothing about organized crime.  I guess being told from the inside view is the reason so many love this movie, but I definitely don't think it deserves to be a "classic".  In order to be a classic, I think a movie must leave almost every viewer feeling a strong emotion and have the viewer also be feeling those emotions throughout the whole movie. I don't think these characters could cause anyone to feel happy when they were happy or sad when they were sad.  This movie should not be considered a classic in my eyes.

    1 comment:

    1. I agree that this movie was disappointing and should not be considered a classic. I also think that this movie helped me learn a lot about organized crime, but it is not something that I am at all interested in

      ReplyDelete