Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Defiance


I really enjoyed the movie.  Defiance was totally different than I expected.  I thought the movie would really impact me and show me how traumatizing World War II was.  However, I loved how the movie showed the people surviving on their own.  Defiance was like no movie I have ever seen.  I loved how they didn't glamorize the woods where they broke away and hid, but instead showed that the brothers even fought among themselves with the trauma they were facing.  I can't even describe the movie or do it any justice, but I would most definitely recommend the movie to every teen or older.  I want to say that the movie taught me to never give up hope, but I feel like that isn't fair to say because I have never, and hopefully will never, know what the Jews went through.  

When Tuvia says, "Our revenge is to live",  I think it is obvious by what he means.  To me, Tuvia means that there is no point trying to fight back against the Nazis because that is just sinking down to their level.  Instead, stay alive and the Nazis will be extremely angry because they don't want any Jewish people alive, but then the Jewish people never did anything wrong.  The Jewish people can not be blamed for anything, but are getting the best revenge possible.  Humanity and revenge can coexist and it is proven by what I mentioned above.  To live is doing nothing in the wrong of humanity, but still getting the best possible revenge on the Nazis.  I do not think revenge is an act of humanity because I do not think either thing can be defined perfectly. I think that people can be humane and still get revenge, but in a way that is not doing anything wrong.  I don't feel like I can properly answer if revenge is ever an act of humanity because I think it is a gray area, but I do think both can coexist.

No comments:

Post a Comment