Tuesday, February 18, 2014

A Cinderella Man


I think this movie was called a Cinderella Man because James Braddock had a rough life throughout the Great Depression, but ended up coming out on top and making the situation the best it could be.  James didn't complain much, instead he fought to put meaning behind his name.  In a way the Great Depression was like the evil stepmother in Cinderella.  The reason I say this, is because Braddock couldn't speak out against it or do anything to change the way the Great Depression affected his life, instead he could only break away and fight for his love of boxing and family. I really enjoyed the movie and how Braddock fought so hard to overcome his struggles, both figuratively and literally. I loved the character of James Braddock because he was very inspirational and made me want to never give up.  The issues that the Braddock family faced in the movie are definitely present today.  Many people struggle to provide food for their families and pay the bills.  The difference in the issue is that the whole country is not facing the problem, and because of that it is sometimes forgotten about, unfortunately.  Our children could possibly face the same issues of struggling to keep their families afloat, but hopefully they will not have to.

Unlike Braddock's son, I would not steal if my family had not eaten in a week.  The reason I would not is because I would feel extremely guilty.  The people providing the bread were also struggling in the economy and I wouldn't want to harm their families.  I personally would have tried to find a job, even though he was very young, of doing absolutely anything for anyone so that I could help my family, instead of possibly getting them into more trouble.

On the topic of Max Baer's portrayal in the movie, I think it unethical and extremely sickening.  I understand the film makers wanting to make it more dramatic for point of Hollywood, but the death devastated Baer and gave him severe depression.  I believe that if someone was mentally harmed by the death, it should not seem like they weren't.  The film made Baer seem like he was proud of it and that was clearly not the case.  If Baer had done it intentionally and had been proud of the death in the ring, then Baer would have been a sick person and I believe it would have been right to present him like that.  However, it is unfair to present someone who was devastated and trying to provide a living as a criminal when he clearly was not.

I found the scene where Braddock went to Madison Square Garden to beg for money interesting.  I would never say it was pathetic because he was trying to provide a living for his family, and it wasn't like he was not trying for a job. I also wouldn't say the scene made him admirable, however I would call the men that donated the money admirable.  This scene helps define Braddock as a Cinderella Man because it shows he had absolutely nothing and built himself up to his peak of his career by himself, and the help of a few others.

1 comment:

  1. I agree with what you said about the movie and I think what you said about Max Baer is a really good point because I don't think it was fair to make him into such a villain just to make Braddock look more heroic. Especially without the consent of his family, I think it was a mistake made by the people behind this movie and that they could have also portrayed him truthfully and still have had just as intense of an ending.

    ReplyDelete